Saturday, July 12, 2014

Over Seven Billion Lines Open, No Waiting


Some twenty years ago, my sister and her husband had the audacity to spend two years of my life in Sweden.  My sister is, as Cassandra Austen described her own sister Jane, "the sun of my life." 

My world stopped rotating with a violent jolt. I was stuck on one side of the planet while the sunshine, my best friend, was on the other side.

For you young'uns who don't remember, back then we cave dwellers communicated by telephones bolted to kitchen walls. So during this time of separation, my sister and I were forced to rack up the world's most horrendous long-distance phone bill. This was because it was heart-rending for the flow of conversation and commiseration and relation to be severed. When I was forced to hang up, either by my then-husband's distressed looks or the phone company's more effective
"interruption of service," it was always with an aching for more of my sister. I remember one day wheezing with laughter
 as we joked around about how great it would be if we could each have a tiny phone surgically implanted in one ear so we NEVER had to hang up. Then at three in the morning, if one of us wanted to talk to the other, she only had to whisper, "Heyyyyyyy...you awake?" 

Of course, this isn't as funny since the advent of the Bluetooth but at the time we thought it was ground-breakingly hilarious.

The point is this mind-blowing "technology" has always been available between us and God.  He's right here. For each and every one of us.

Psalm 139:8-10 says, "If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.  If I rise on the wings of dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."

His love, companionship, comfort, and guidance are never interrupted.  He is with you  - in the car, at the kitchen sink, in the hospital room - and ready to listen.

Not only is God available to hear your prayers any time, any place but He WANTS to hear your prayers. 

Isaiah 30:18 says, "The Lord longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the Lord is a god of justice.  Blessed are those who wait on him." 

What bigger thrill can there be than knowing that the same Creator who dreamed up, designed and created DNA and photosynthesis and seashells and tectonic plates longs to hear your prayers and bless you?

...and...these little white flowers.
( I didn't have a picture of tectonic plates.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Do be nice to everyone.